Project Cars

Discussion in 'Other Driving Simulations' started by Kris Vickers, May 4, 2015.

1. Kris Vickers Licensed Driver

'EEEEK' I hear you cry . . .

Just wondering, despite this title not being what I would call 'Simulation', the way it handles day/night transitions and weather etc. may prove to be interesting in the league front.

Not sure how the online side of things is handled and if it is league ready out of the box, but I suppose it's another title to add to the 'give it a shot' list?

I, myself, don't own this title yet, but may be pursuaded to get it if many more people have it and it proves worthy of precious HDD space.

What say ye?
  2. Stacy Newcomb Licensed Driver

Been there bought the T-shirt....... got a refund.

Joking aside that was 2 years ago, but not prepared to part with cash to try it again.
  3. Niranjan Kumar Licensed Driver

I have pre-ordered this ... will let you guys know how it feels.....being a hard core "sim-nut" I had some big doubts about this as most of us , but some people did think it would surprise us , so decided to give it a shot ....

http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/inside-project-cars-seta-tire-model/ makes for an interesting read also and and , but il wait a couple of days to form my own conclusion ...
  4. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

I would rather not want yet another game on the "give it a shot" list, particularly one which has already fallen at the first hurdle as this one did. I only bought AC because despite the misgivings I had re the Steam platform (we had just had some really bad experiences with RACE07), it had one advantage which my sim of choice (rF2) did not have: it's not built on the same old gmotor2 engine.
    However, PCARS is built on an evolution of the Madness engine developed by Slightly Mad Studios, and was the basis for the Need For Speed: Shift titles. (No, thanks!) In addition to community feedback, Slightly Mad Studios have acquired the "professional services" of Ben Collins (aka The Stig), Nicolas Hamilton (brother of Lewis) and former FR 3.5 driver Oli Webb. (Meh)

If there's a demo of PCARS I'll give it a go, but I doubt it will inspire me enough to buy into it. Of course, being the manager of a simracing community means I ought to be familiar with the various platforms on offer, so I felt obliged to buy into AC...but tbh, I would rather stick to one sim and be expert at that from a personal point of view. Actually, I hope PCARS doesn't take off in the community, because then I'll be obliged to pay for it just so I can get familiar with it...in fact, they ought to give community staff a free copy of the game so they can get familiar with it! :D

I still prefer rF2 over AC by a looooong way, and not only because of the missing features re league racing. Don't get me wrong, I like driving the cars in AC, and some of those cars are rendered better than in rF2 (or are only available in AC) and I'm sure that PCARS will be the same.
    But it's the feel which matters to me...it can look like RACE07 or rF1 for all I care, as long as it drives well. Even in AC, I keep feeling it's more about the eye candy than the quality of the feel, and I doubt that PCARS will be any different. I've spent ages trying to make the FFB feel anywhere near as good as what I'm expecting...the very fact that things like kerb effects are canned instead of being generated by the physics makes it more artificial and therefore less engaging. Maybe I'm expecting too much, and should stop comparing AC and rF2, but the bottom line is that I get a better experience in rF2.

Having been through all that with AC, I'll give PCARS a miss unless I feel like I'm doing the community a disservice by ignoring it. :rolleyes:
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  5. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

I know 2 of the beta testers for PCars, and I have not pre-paid...what does that tell you ;)
  6. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

I know several thousand "beta testers" for every modern game...what does that tell you? :p
  7. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

You brought AC :p:D
  8. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

Not because I wanted to test it...or even because I wanted to buy it, as I explained above.
  9. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

Because you LOVE IT !!!! :cool:
  10. Bjorn de Haas Licensed Driver

i bought it and i love it!! great graphics and immersion
  11. Niranjan Kumar Licensed Driver

ok I had a test run .... and my first impressions are , you cant call this a "sim" :( ..... I have to tweak the FFB etc , but not much hope :( .... I will report further ...
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Kris Vickers Licensed Driver

Yesterday, I gave this game a shot.

I did the first career race in the shofter karts and thought they were a bit iffy to drive. Got used to them eventually, but it felt wrong.

Then i thought I`d try a car i know from AC at a track i know. The Ginetta G55 at Donny.

This car felt much better, but the car felt like it was skating all over the place. That was there attempt at cold tyre simulation. When they eventually warmed up, there was much more grip, but still didn`t feel all that good.

I`ll stick with what I have always thought about this game and say that it looks beautiful, and covers a fewaspects that AC doesn`t (day/night & all weather transitions), but as it doesn`t allow modding and it's not entirely that great, I`m still not sure.

I see the online portion (public servers at least) of this game being an absolute noob-wreckfest, but we`ll see.
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  13. Niranjan Kumar Licensed Driver

ok here are my views...as I said the physics are more "sim-cade" than sim, and some of the cars I tried are good fun !!! .. .I couldn't find info to setup the FFB properly.... but the highlight of this game is surely the graphics !! they are absolutely stunning , you might need to get this for the visual effects alone :p ... all in all it would make for a fun and less intense experience than a traditional sim....
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

Well all I can say is that if it's not enough like a simulator it will have no place here - we're not called Sim'ish' Racing Pro! That's why you don't see the Codemasters F1 games nor any of the console racing games here.
    At the risk of repeating myself:
  15. Neil Rocks Licensed Driver

This thing. I have changed my mind very slightly almost ninety thousand times over this, which is completely unreasonable given the fact that I've not played it. Each time I see some glowing endorsement or desirable feature, a week later there's a Reddit post about people demanding refunds or a complaint about its 'simcade' nature. Honestly, I think I'd enjoy it if someone handed me a free copy (I've had fun racing in much less simulator-y games) but all the pros and cons have cancelled themselves out into a resounding 'meh' right now. AC and iRacing have me completely covered at present (and sometimes it's a challenge to find time for those) plus I think I'd have to turn down some of the fancy graphics to get pCars to run smoothly, which immediately diminishes one of the big selling points...

TL;DR - haven't played it, but nah, I'm all right.
  16. Bjorn de Haas Licensed Driver

i dont agree on this not being a sim.... Its more sim then AC or even iracing. Both of those have no day/night or even weather, which should be mandatory for a sim.
  17. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

I read earlier, and this was not my comments, but they said.....

So even taking dynamic weather aside ( which I think, what is the point if the FFB and physics are wrong ) which is what this chap is saying, AC still tops the charts in the PC market at the moment, although it has it's floors
  18. Kris Vickers Licensed Driver

Flaws maybe?
  19. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

or fours or 4'ors, maybe :D
  20. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List